Christmas is the definition of consumerism and it really bothers me. But, I was raised celebrating it and I enjoy having the family together to laugh and bond. I am however, broke as all frick, so I have set up a plan of sorts to save up and buy my friends and family gifts they’ll actually want.
1) I accidentally fell in love with Starbucks. I know, I’m dumb, but I’m going to fix this and quit getting those delicious, lovely, miracles that are eggnog lattes. I don’t even like eggnog! Ugh, stupid five dollar lattes.
2) My boyfriend and I have this ritual of sorts where every Wednesday we go for wings. I currently don’t have a car so he can’t get a drink, and I hate how expensive alcohol is, so normally we both just get pop and wings. It’s his favourite thing to do during the week and I don’t want to take that from him, so I may just stop getting wings and just sit and be social. We blow a good $30-$40 every time. Half of that a week in savings can really add up.
3) Cutting back with bills. I like being comfortable and my boyfriend likes the heat, so our furnace is always a little higher than it needs to be, so I think I’m going to invest in other ways to warm my place and start wearing sweaters so I can save on that. You’d be surprised how much that can get out of hand really quick too.
4) I have loads of wool in my house, so I want to start making things and selling them. I really enjoy making bows, scarves and blankets. There’s even a couple craft fares near me I can attend and try selling some stuff. I may even have some soap making product somewhere too. I guess it’s time to get crafty!
5) Crying. I’m kidding, if crying fixed my finance problems, I’d probably do it a lot more though. It really doesn’t help I went on vacation. I’d like to pick up some freelance writing eventually. Being able to do what I love and make a few bucks off it seems like a good idea.
And there ya have it, my attempt at saving and earning a bit more money before the holidays. Boyfriends present is being delivered right away here too, so that huge present is out of the way. I want to try and do a gathering for friends closer to Yule and then family shenanigans for Christmas. I also work Christmas, so I’ll have a good paycheque for the new year. But for now, saving as much as I can. Anyways…
Thanks for reading!